2008-04-09

Masjid Labok

Kampong Labok

That Masjid Labok was where Ramli and I went one evening at dusk to sound the gong for signalling the Buka Puasa and we did not hear the the geduk from Tok Bok one mile away as our cue due to the wind blowing in the wrong direction: so that night Labokians were late in breaking their Puasa. Mek rushed out of the hut (50 metres away) onto the bullock cart track and shouted at me, "goreb doh wel, gelap doh ni katok lah geduk tu". I could have been about 9 years old which was about 1948 that's 60 years ago.

No TV nor Handphones then. No radio, no watch nor clock not even electricity. I used to dream what it would be like to have shoes. I did not have to dream long for one day on the way home from school I came across a pair of Fung Keong rubber shoes on the edge of the stream. Finders keepers losers weepers.

Fast forward 60 years:

And now it is so much different. Philip can see this message at the same time that I publish the post though he is 14,000 km away.

In honour of Labokians everywhere I adopt the word labokin as my gmail handle

1 comment:

me.smilo said...

I spoke with Ramli about this incident and he added that our mother gave us some buah tamar for our own buka puasa but we ate them all on the way to the mosque.